Used to နဲ႕ To be used to/ to get used to ကိုၾကားဖူးၾကမွာပါ။ အသုံးျပဳရာတြင္ အထူးသတိျပဳသင့္ပါသည္။
There is a difference between:
- Used to
- To be used to/ to get used to
It is important not to confuse I used to and I am used to doing (to be / to get used to)
as they are different in structure and meaning. အဓိပၸါယ္ တစ္ခုနဲ႕တစ္ခု လုံးဝကိုမတူၾကပါဘူး။
1. Used to အတိတ္မွာ မွန္မွန္ ျပဳခဲ့သည္။လုပ္ခဲ့သည္။ျဖစ္ခဲ့သည္။
You use used to do something to talk about something that happened regularly or was the case in the past, but is not now.
· They used to live in Manchester, now they live in London.
· I used to hate dancing; now I enjoy it.
· Bridget used to smoke, but she gave up a couple of years ago.
To form questions, use “did ". ေမးခြန္းျပဳလုပ္ရာတြင္
· Did she use to have long hair?
· Where did you use to live before you came here?
(Note that the correct spelling is use to ျဖစ္ရမယ္။ questions ျဖစ္ေနလို့ပါ။ use အေနာက္မွာ +d မပါတာကိုသတိျပဳမိမွာပါ။)
အကယ္၍ did နဲ႕ အေမးစကား မဟုတ္ခဲ့ရင္ ေနာက္တနည္း ကိုအသုံးျပဳႏိုင္ပါတယ္။
It is also possible to say “Where used you to live… ".
The negative form is usually “didn’t use ", but in British English this is quite informal and is not usually used in writing.
· I didn't use to have a pet when I was little.
The negative form “used not to” (rather formal) and the question form “used you to …?” is quite old-fashioned and formal. They are only used in British English, usually in writing.
You cannot use “used to “to talk about the present, in this case use the present simple.
· I go shopping every week.
· I play football very often.
2. To be used to/to get used to (…ing/noun) က်င့္သားရသည္။
be - am,is,are,was,were
When somebody says I'm used to something that means it is not new or strange for him or her. It means that the person is familiar with something because he/she does it or experiences it often. (or) It is for expressing habit or things with which you are comfortable or to which you are accustomed.
- I am used to London traffic.
- I am not used to eating so much at lunchtime.
- I bought some new shoes, they felt a bit strange at first because I wasn't used to them.
- Diane has a new job, she has to get up much earlier now than before, at 6.30. She finds this difficult because she isn't used to getting up so early.
- I am used to living abroad. - I have previous experience living abroad, so it's not difficult for me.
- Jane isn't used to living abroad. - She doesn't have much experience living abroad, or if she does it is still difficult for her.
- Paul is used to learning languages. - Paul has learnt languages before, so he's good at it.
- Carol has never studied a foreign language, so she's not used to it. - Carol doesn't have previous experience learning a foreign language.
To get used to : Is for expressing a point in the process of becoming accustomed to something.
- It can take a long time to get used to a new country.
- I found the job tiring at first but I got used to it.
- I wasn't used to living abroad, but I got used to it. - I didn't have experience living abroad, but I grew in experience until I was happy living abroad.
- I didn't like bananas, but I got used to them. - In the beginning I didn't like bananas, but after a while I learnt to like them.
When be/get used to is followed by a verb, this verb is in the ing form. You cannot use the infinitive.
· I'm used to driving in London.
· I'll never get used to driving on the left.
When we say I'm used to, "to" be a preposition, not a part of the infinitive, so we say:
· Jane is used to getting up early (not Jane is used to get up)
· Mark had to get used to driving on the left (not get used to drive)
If you want to answer to somebody that you are used to something you cannot say “I’m used”, you need to add a complement according to the context:
“I’m used to it "
" I'm used to them”
The difference between I am used to doing and I used to do
I used to do something means that I did something regularly in the past but no longer do it.
အရင္ကလုပ္ခဲ့တယ္။ ဒါေပမဲ့ အခုမလုပ္ေတာ့ဘူး။
We can use this structure only for the past. It is not for the present. The structure is “I used to do” and not “I am used to do ".
· I used to go to work by the tube, but these days I usually go by foot.
· We used to live in a small town, but now we live in London.
I am used to doing something means that something is not strange or new for me.
· I am used to the weather in this country.
· I am used to driving on the left because I have lived in GB for a long time.
Study these examples:
Use a black pen to write your name.
He used a computer to calculate the answer.
I usually have coffee for breakfast but sometimes I have fruit juice.
I don't usually drink wine for lunch but I often do for dinner.
When I was a little girl I used to play with Barbie dolls (but I don't now).
Mitterrand used to be President of France (but he isn't now).
My mother always used to make me sandwiches for lunch (but she doesn't now).
I used to drink milk out of a bottle when I was a baby (but I don't now).
I usually drank water out of a glass when I was a child (and I still do).
When I lived in Scotland, I usually had porridge for breakfast (and I sometimes do now).
I was born in the country; it took me a long time to get used to the noise and dirt of the town.
She is shy; she is not used to performing in public.
If you have English guests, remember they are not used to eating as late as 8 o'clock.
You may find it difficult to get used to getting up so early.
When I lived in Saigon I got used to the heat but it wasn't easy.
When I was at school I got used to wearing a uniform but I'd find it hard now.
When I went to Scotland I found it difficult at first because I wasn't used to their accent.
Complete the following sentences with the correct form of used and the verb in brackets.
Please kindly see the attached file for answers.
when we use the WH question , we have to use ( do,does,die,has have ,had, is ,are,am,was,were,can etc ) these auxiluries verb & helping verb . But i am confused which verb we have to you ? pls explain me. thanks
Do you mean which verb you have to use in making WH question for used to and be used to?
Thanks a lot.