Vacancy Announcement (005/2018)
Number of Positions:
27 March 2018
The Vocational Skills Development Program (VSDP), which is financed by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), is implemented in Myanmar by a consortium, led by Swisscontact (the Swiss Foundation for Technical Cooperation). The Program's overall goal is: ‘Gainful and market demand-driven employment or self-employment and better income for disadvantaged women and men in targeted areas of Myanmar.’ VSDP has three components, namely the Hotel Training Initiative (HTI Component), the Local Vocational Training (LVT Component), Apprenticeship Pilot and the support to the Policy and Stakeholder Engagement (PSE Component).
Swisscontact is currently looking for a Communications Manager, to be based in Yangon.
The Communications Manager is responsible for:
- Identifying relevant Program related messages for various target audiences, effective channels for conveying these messages, and appropriate design concepts.
- Producing and disseminating high-quality Program public relations materials, in line with related communication strategies and guidelines.
- Maintaining effective working relationships and communication channels with the donor, partners and stakeholders.
- Maintaining the Program’s visibility among relevant stakeholders.
The Communications Manager reports directly to the Head of Communications, Monitoring and Results Measurement.
The Communications Manager performs the following tasks:
- Lead processes for designing public relations materials, ensuring that they are consistent, accurate and in line with internal communication strategies and guidelines.
- Lead or support the process of developing public relations videos for the VSDP.
- Edit and finalise press-releases for events.
- Coordinate the preparation of fact-sheets, leaflets, flyers, posters, and other public relations materials in both Myanmar and English languages.
- Identify relevant messages and prepare public relations material to effectively communicate with different target audiences.
- Review and finalise all online content for Swisscontact Myanmar and the Program (including website) in close cooperation with other VSDP team members.
- Review and update the visitor information pack.
Internal and external communications
- Identify and disseminate relevant information materials (e.g. newsletters, head office communiques, press articles/news regarding the program).
- Coordinate all Program interactions with media and maintain relations with media outlets.
- Liaise, correspond and participate in meetings with relevant stakeholders and advise on appropriate communication approaches.
- Support official communication with SDC and the Swiss Embassy.
- Support the implementation of workshops, visits and other events, including preparing press releases, ensuring media attendance, preparing and disseminating public relations material.
- Maintain close coordination with the Head Office Communications Team.
- Supervise activities of the Communications Professional.
- Perform other tasks as agreed with Head of Communications, Monitoring and Results Measurement.
Required qualifications, experience and competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field. Master’s degree would be an advantage.
- At least 5 years of work experience in communications, public relations, marketing, or a related field
- Extensive experience designing layouts and formats for public relations materials
- Experience liaising and managing relations with stakeholders and press
- Experience writing high quality professional documents in English (public relations materials, reports, press releases, etc.)
- Managerial experience would be an advantage
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- Fluent spoken and written English language skills
- Fluent in spoken and written Myanmar language
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent rapport building skills
- Very good computer skills (Microsoft Office, Adobe InDesign/Photoshop)
- Outgoing, flexible and adaptable, with a positive attitude
- Confident, approachable and motivated
- Willing to travel to liaise with stakeholders
The workplace will be Yangon, but flexibility is expected for tasks to be conducted in other Program locations.
Interested candidates are invited to submit CVs with a motivation letter/cover letter in English including three (3) referees to email@example.com not later than 5:30 PM (Yangon time) on 27 March 2018. If wished, hard copies can be submitted to the following address:
Swiss Foundation for Technical Cooperation
3J, Min Kyaung Street, Off Kyaik Waing Pagoda Road, Ward (3),
Mayangone Township, Yangon, Myanmar
Please note that:
- The consortium respects gender equality and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applications received after the closing date and time will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.