Senior Public Health Officer- Rakhine
Date: 22 May 18
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in roughly 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Accountability, Equity and Inclusion
Relief International values accountability, equity and inclusion in all aspects of program and project activities, and fully respects “Do No Harm” principles. Its staff is committed to ensuring the non-discrimination of marginalized groups in the management and allocation of resources, and fostering local participation, accountability, integration of services and strategic partnerships.
Job Title: Senior Public Health Officer
Number of Position: 1
Location: Mrauk U, Myebon, Sittwe (frequent travel)
Report to: Medical Officer
Starting Date: 15 June 2018
Contract Duration: Six month only
- To be responsible for designated areas of Health Improvement programmes, public health surveillance, population screening or geographical areas
- To fill in Excel database very thoroughly and completely
- Map accessible public health activities utilizing the existing Excel file and documentation in all the villages in Myebon and Mrauk U and following the existing example.
- Public health risk analysis based on the findings of the health service mapping in Myebon and Mrauk
- Work with M&E in Yangon to prepare visual representation of findings (map) and closely Coordinate with Health Technical & Coordination Unit and MEAL team
- Liaise very well with government staff for the purposes of mapping services
- To visit or discuss with BHS staff from every village (according to planning with MEL team and Health Program Manager) in Mrauk U and Myebon for mapping of services
- Collaborate with MILI and other disabled persons organizations (DPOs) for accessible public service activities alongside the Health Program Manager
- Provide infectious disease training and appropriate health seeking behaviour TOT for all RI Health Educators in Myebon and Mrauk U by collaboration with Head of Health Technical & Coordination Unit
- Meet with other NGOs in Myebon and Mrauk U to find out what services they provide for health, protection, and GBV.
- Take charge of ensuring that identified persons with disabilities (PWDs) in Myebon as part of the Washington Group Questionnaire are fitted with assistive devices. Work with the Health Program Manager, Health Coordinator, Field Health Coordinator, and liaise with DPOs for this, if necessary.
- Travel very frequently to travel sites
- Make sure an appropriate contribution to wider public health networks and to bring public health practices, trainings and research together as necessary
- Facilitate capacity building training for Disabled Person’s Organization (figure out what capacity building they want related to health)
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of Rakhine State health system
- Knowledge of Rakhine State
- Experience working with BHS staff
- Experience with Excel
- Strong English speaking and writing ability
- Ability to prepare documentation completely
- Understand inclusion in health system especially disability inclusion.
The job description will be subject to review in consultation with the Health Program Manager and Head of Health Technical & Coordination Unit in the light of the needs of the employing organization and the development of the specialty of public health and any wider developments in the field of public health
- Medical Doctor
- Post graduate in Master of Public Health is preferable
- Previous experience working in INGOs, LNGO is preferable
- Previous experience of Data Analysis and Trainer of Trainer.
- Able to speak and understand local language and very good English
- Flexible and empathetic attitude
- Able to work under little supervision to complete tasks with timely manner.
- Good communication skills between the BHS staff and among the team.
Interested candidates should send their cover letter, CV and names of three referees to Relief International at firstname.lastname@example.org or deliver to Relief International at No. 202, U Wisara Road, West Shwegonedine, Bahan Township, Yangon quoting “Senior Public Health Officer” in the subject line. The position will be advertised no later than 5:00 p.m. on May 30, 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Relief International is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnic origin, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation or disability. In an effort to improve the gender balance within the organization, qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.