Medical Officer-Mrauk U Township (Rakhine State)
Date: 15th March 2019
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in roughly 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way— emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In
this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Number of Position:
Mrauk U Township, Rakhine State
Senior Medical Officer
Application Dead Line:
29th March 2019
- Provide and manage the appropriate sexual and reproductive health related clinical and other services including counselling, health promotion and proper referral to all patients seen by mobile clinic days by direct consultation and by supervision, coaching Midwives, Nurses and Health Educator
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, checking they have understood
- Participate actively in emergency medical response for victims affected by disasters if needs
- Ensure all the medical services and treatments provided are in line with and according to RI acceptance protocols/ guidelines
- Ensure regular follow-up of some patients who are suffering from chronic diseases
- Supervise the mobile clinic setting is in Universal Precaution and proper waste management as per international strictly at work place and also keep awareness and supervise for universal precaution issues
- Knows and ensures all RI medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precaution and waste management as per international strictly at workplace are followed all the times and reducing bio-hazards risks and improving infection control
- Determine when a patient should refer to higher care facilities and make proper referral system with Referral Officer
- Ensure the smooth flow of the clinic and treat the patients with respect, empathy and good personal relationship
- Supervise Nurse/Health Assistant for the control of drug stock (Record, Remaining balance, Monthly or timely physical stock count, etc.) and to implement effective Pharmacy Management System with Nurse/Health Assistant
- Ensure that stock registers, patient registers are done correctly and systematically and that numbers are medically pertinent.
- Ensure professional confidentially is respected
- Prepare appropriate monthly work plan for medical team and ensure to operate clinic activities in accordance with approved work plan by Senior Medical Officer
- Manage and supervise Nurse/Health Assistant, Midwife, Clinic Assistant/Dispenser, Health Educator and Translator during working time
- Take financial accountability and responsibility for mobile team operations under the guidance, supervision and management of Senior Medical Officer
- Serve as Officer in Charge when Senior Medical Officer is on leave or away from duty station
Data Collection and Reporting
- Collect data and timely report on morbidity and mortality of patients and data input with DEA according to RI standard reporting tools
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or Health Program Officer
- Monitor all relevant data to be correct and also supervise data collection by other staffs and do timely reporting to line manager or Health Program Officer
- Submit monthly report to Line Manager including the recorded database, summary and overview of status, problems/issues, etc.
- Inform to Senior Medical Officer/Field Health Coordinator for specific medical needs, including potential disease outbreaks, in intervention settings
- Collaborate with Health Coordinator and under the guidance of Head of Health Technical & Coordination Unit and give theoretical and on-job training to medical and para-medical staffs including Auxiliary Midwife, community health workers from intervention settings depending on needs
Communication, Coordination and Supporting as Liaison
- Excellent communication with strong interpersonal skills and able to deal with local communities
- Maintain good relationship with Basic Health staffs and all the team members from the assigned area
- Work closely with Finance Department for financial issues
- Work closely with Logistic Department and other sectors for team movement plan
- Liaise with other field staff during monitoring visit by Senior Staffs from Health Program or Government Staffs
- Be part of the team to do assessment in the areas affected by disasters
- Collect appropriate data, both quantitative and qualitative, from medical point of view
- Assist Senior Medical Officer in preparing assessment reports by giving all necessary inputs from medical perspective
- Take part in program meeting, program review and in general staff meetings
- Assist with the patients during referral to Government Hospital if needs
- Adopt non-judgmental attitude, manage patients with compassion and maintain strict confidentiality and privacy
- Any others relevant tasks upon special request by Supervisor according to program needs
- B.,B.S degree with valid license
- Previous experience working in INGOs, LNGO is preferable.
- Good knowledge of primary health care, TB, MNCH and Reproductive Health
- Experience in emergency medical response will be an asset.
- Experience in GBV case Management (desirable)
- To be a good team player and good personal skill to coworkers
- Willing to work for marginalized population in clinic based setting and in a multicultural context
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English is essential
- Flexible and empathetic attitude
- Good general computer skill, excellent command of Excel
- Good communication skills between the clients and staff and among the team.
- Able to work under little supervision to complete tasks with timely manner.
Interested candidates should send their cover letter, CV and names of three referees to Relief International at email@example.com or deliver to Relief International at No. 202, U Wisara Road, West Shwegonedine, Bahan Township, Yangon quoting “Medical Officer –Mrauk U” in the subject line.
The position will be advertised no later than 5:00 p.m. on March 29, 2019.
Due to the nature of our work we aim to fill the vacancy as quickly as possible. This means that we will close the advert as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible. Only shortlisted candidate will be notified.
Relief International is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnic origin, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation or disability. In an effort to improve the gender balance within the organization, qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value: Inclusiveness, Transparency and Accountability, Agility and Innovation, Collaboration, Sustainability.
Accountability, Equity and Inclusion
Relief International values accountability, equity and inclusion in all aspects of program and project activities, and fully respects “Do No Harm” principles. Its staff is committed to ensuring the non-discrimination of marginalized groups in the management and allocation of resources, and fostering local participation, accountability, integration of services and strategic partnerships.