The post is to be based in Yangon and opened to Myanmar Nationals and advertised nationwide.
Oxfam is a leading International NGO with a worldwide reputation for excellence and over 70 years of experience. It’s not unfortunate that people live in poverty. With enough wealth in this world to go around it’s unjustifiable. It’s not just their problem. It’s ours too. Our humanitarian, development and campaigning projects change lives around the world, and with the right support, we can beat poverty and injustice. Thousands of people already commit their time and talents to our campaigning, humanitarian and long-term development projects. Now we’re looking for yours.
The role: To provide senior leadership and support to the Director of Advocacy and Communications on Oxfam in Myanmar’s growing advocacy and policy agenda across economic justice, governance and humanitarian; to provide technical support to selected policy leads and progammes across Oxfam in Myanmar’s teams; to provide high level analysis, develop policy and oversee research and produce policy papers on issues central to Oxfam in Myanmar’s programming and influencing; to manage external relations with key national actors including Government and civil society; to provide technical input on advocacy and policy on programme development; to deputise for the Director of Advocacy and Communications. Given the importance of gender equality to Oxfam in Myanmar’s country programme, this role is expected to have a strong focus on leading the gender and women’s rights advocacy agenda.
Level: C 1, National
Employment term: Fixed Term (until 31 January 2019)
Report to: Director of Advocacy and Communications
What we offer: Respectful and empowered working environment,
Life insurance, Medical+ dental + optical benefits,
Competitive salary and Career advancement opportunities,
Generous leave entitlement
- Support the development of policy and analysis across country programmes, on economic justice, governance, inequality and crucially women’s rights.
- Work closely with the inequality research fellow to lead Oxfam in Myanmar’s inequality work across programmes and policy
- Monitor progress on key national policy trends related to Oxfam in Myanmar’s work on economic justice (responsible investment, natural resource management), governance and gender
- Produce new policy positions, regular policy updates and briefings on key emerging development issues
- Takes a lead in overseeing the development of an influencing framework across all of Oxfam in Myanmar’s programmes
- Provide analytical and strategic advocacy guidance to programme teams
- Identify, produce and manage high quality evidence-based research on economic justice, governance and women’s rights, and input into research led by other programme teams in Oxfam in Myanmar
- Represent Oxfam in high level external meetings where appropriate and promote opportunities for national organizations to raise their voices with decision-makers.
- Build relationships with relevant government and Donor officials and with other relevant stakeholders including international and local NGOs on core issues for Oxfam in Myanmar’s economic justice, governance and humanitarian programming
- Support the Director of Advocacy and Communications to work with programme focal points / managers to ensure effective integration of policy and advocacy in programming
- Represent Oxfam in key civil society networks where needed (in particular the Gender Equality Network)
- Attend meetings and work regularly to build momentum around areas of work with civil society partners, identifying areas where Oxfam can take supporting or leadership roles
- Work closely with the media and communications coordinator to support implementation of the Oxfam Communications and Media Strategy.
- Act as spokesperson for Oxfam in Myanmar for policy issues in Myanmar language media.
- Lead design and delivery of advocacy capacity building for Oxfam staff and partners across all sectors
- Work with the Director for Advocacy and Communications to identify strategic opportunities for achieving progressive change and play substantive role in contributing to development of overall influencing strategies on key development issues.
- Deputise for Director for Advocacy Communications during the manager’s absence and on a regular basis (including all responsibilities on finance, sign off procedures, and agreeing policy)
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
- Degree level education, and preferably a master in a relevant field depending on the length of relevant professional experience
- A commitment to fighting poverty, inequality and injustice and promoting basic rights
- Experience in public policy analysis or gender and women’s rights programmes
- Experience of working closely with a wide range of civil society actors
- Demonstrated experience of influencing decision makers (could include civil society, private sector, government, donors, UN bodies, regional and global institutions, media)
- Understanding of humanitarian principles, recovery and development best practices
- Experience in conducting, commissioning or managing research
- A clear commitment to influencing decision-makers through evidence-based policy research, media and advocacy.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines, to work unsociable hours if necessary
- Well-developed interpersonal and team skills and proven ability to be flexible and sensitive in demanding situations. Track-record of working well with others and of diplomacy and tact
- Good conceptual and analytical skills and demonstrable ability to think strategically, innovatively and practically to influence policies and practises.
- Effective and sensitive communication skills including fluency in English. Capacity to write appropriately for different external audiences.
- Experience of working in development programmes
Closing date: 15 December 2017, 5:00 PM
How to apply: Please state applied position in email subject line and send CV and cover letter to Human Resources Department through email@example.com
Oxfam office, No. 34, Corner of Aung Taw Mu Street and Golden Hill Avenue Street, Golden Valley Ward 2, Bahan Township, Yangon, Myanmar.
Phone: +95 (0)1 539986, 539987, 539958, 539189 and 504918
Detail and complete job profile is available upon request.
We regret that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.