Pyoe Pin promotes inclusive, accountable and fair governance in Myanmar to underpin a more open, prosperous and peaceful society. Pyoe Pin uses political economy analysis and adaptive, iterative approaches to support processes that enable broad locally-led coalitions to coalesce around tangible real life issues and create sustainable change.
Objectives and Responsibilities
As a member of the Pyoe Pin Strategic Management Team, the Communications Specialist will lead the implementation of Pyoe Pin’s communications strategy with two main (closely related) objectives:
- Enhance efforts to achieve the aims and objectives of Pyoe Pin’s partners, working through the issue areas in which Pyoe Pin is engaged, by providing support to communications and advocacy initiatives that publicise this work and its successes
- Communicate the lessons from Pyoe Pin itself, so that knowledge and understanding of the approach taken by the Programme can be shared with CSOs, donor agencies and other stakeholders
With these objectives in mind, the Communications Specialist will:
- Develop and sustain effective professional relationships with key constituencies (including the media, civil society, NGOs, academia, businesses, government agencies and parliamentarians).
- Support Pyoe Pin and partners in the development of communications and advocacy materials to media, government, parliamentarians, donors and other stakeholders (such as backgrounders, articles, Power Point presentations, reports, brochures, websites, social media, radio/TV & film materials, drama, etc.) that strategically promote and publicise the major issues on which Pyoe Pin’s partners are engaged.
- Identify and manage media training, in collaboration with Pyoe Pin media partners, to increase the media’s capacity to effectively inform public debate on issues with which Pyoe Pin and its partners are engaged, and which will contribute to increased democratic and accountable governance in Myanmar.
- Monitor and analyse current events, including media monitoring and advise the Pyoe Pin Strategic Management Team on trends, news developments, or changing/unexpected circumstances that may impact on Pyoe Pin work, and help to determine appropriate strategic responses.
- Ensure effective knowledge management systems and sharing of resources for both internal and external audiences.
This post is a full-time position initially until 30 April 2019. While based in Yangon, periodic travel to the locations of partner activities, and from time to time to Nay Pyi Taw, will be required. A competitive salary will be provided for the successful candidate.
- A Masters degree in Communications or Journalism, or in another relevant area (such as economics, sociology, political sciences) if combined with work experience in communications and knowledge management.
- A minimum of 7 years of demonstrated work experience in communications or closely related field.
- A demonstrated sound understanding of current communications and marketing theory and tools essential to planning, executing, and monitoring communications strategies.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentational skills in English with an ability to write and edit to a high standard is essential. Spoken and written fluency in English is also essential. Myanmar language skills would be a distinct advantage.
- Strong conceptual and research/analytical skills, with the ability to think strategically and rapidly analyse and integrate diverse information from varied sources into clear, accessible materials.
- Knowledge of and engagement with relevant international, regional and national media networks.
- Demonstrated ability to monitor and evaluate effectiveness of media and communications strategies and tools.
- Proven planning and organisational skills.
- Competence or knowledge across the range of IT systems and packages (such as Outlook, Word, PDF, PowerPoint, Web editing software).
To apply, please send an application letter, CV and 3 examples of recent written materials to: email@example.com. Closing date for applications is 28 August 2017.
It is expected that shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview during the week of 11 September 2017.