The post is to be based in Sittwe and opened to Myanmar National and Advertised nationwide.
Oxfam is a leading International NGO with a worldwide reputation for excellence and over 70 years of experience. It’s not unfortunate that people live in poverty. With enough wealth in this world to go around it’s unjustifiable. It’s not just their problem. It’s ours too. Our humanitarian, development and campaigning projects change lives around the world, and with the right support, we can beat poverty and injustice. Thousands of people already commit their time and talents to our campaigning, humanitarian and long-term development projects. Now we’re looking for yours.
The project supports individuals from CSOs, partner organisations, women’s rights organisations and individuals from Sittwe IDP camps to engage in a Gender Leadership Programme that aims at 1) women’s transformational leadership and empowerment and 2) enhancing entrepreneurship skills development to increase livelihood opportunities for women in Rakhine. As a result, women should be supported to pay a more active role in the development of Rakhine State. Interventions are aimed towards participants applying leadership skills at household and community level, and towards increasing women’s capacities to gain livelihood opportunities through skill development tailored to context and expressed needs. This project is under Oxfam in Myanmar’s Governance programme and will be embedded within humanitarian approaches, thereby working on the humanitarian-development nexus.
The Gender and Leadership Project Officer will perform a key coordination and facilitation role among partner organisations, women’s rights organisations, civil society actors, local leaders, and relevant programmes in Oxfam. The position will assist the Women’s Empowerment Programme Manager in mentoring, accompaniment and training, and governance technical support for partner organisations as well as working closely with the Oxfam technical and operations team in Yangon and the Sittwe field office.
Level: National, D1
Employment term: Fixed-term (1 year)
Report to: Women’s Empowerment Programme Manager
What we offer: Respectful and empowered working environment,
Life insurance, Medical+ dental + optical benefits,
Competitive salary and Career advancement opportunities,
Generous leave entitlement
- Implementing and leading assigned project activities in the field
- Preparing the content of and conducting trainings and workshops in project areas – either individually, with the project team or partner organisations
- Assist the Programme Manager and programme team in Sittwe, as well as partner organisations and supported CSOs to understand gender and power dynamics in the project areas, and promote women’s leadership and empowerment
- Support local female leaders to take on leadership roles in their communities (this includes supporting the identification of female IDPs to take on roles as community facilitators in Sittwe IDP camps)
- Support the collection of information and mapping of potential partners, networks, allies and women’s rights organisations in Rakhine State
- Assist in identifying opportunities and engaging with key influencers (power holders) for lobbying and advocacy at the local level
- Assist in organization and facilitation of joint events with donors, partners, government and beneficiaries
- Support the production of communication materials (videos, human interest stories) and information sharing between beneficiaries; this includes identifying suitable interview partners and groups
- Assist the Programme Manager in compiling and submitting a clear and informative project report according to the donor reporting time line and guidelines
- Identify challenges in context and project activities and inform Programme team in a timely manner
- Submit monthly reports to Programme Manager and attend Sittwe all staff meetings to brief the Oxfam programme teams on activities
- Be an active learner and, where required, support the dissemination of good practices internally and externally (either directly or in an advisory capacity to partners and networks)
- Assist in monitoring of implementing partners and project activities.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
- At least 3 years’ experience of working on community-based development and facilitation of workshops and trainings
- At least 1 year experience on working on women’s empowerment and gender leadership
- Knowledge and understanding of gender and gender equality, community-driven leadership and governance in Myanmar
- Good coordination, communication and community facilitation skills
- Influencing and negotiation skills, with a demonstrated capacity to balance flexibility and tenacity
- Understanding of basic concepts of humanitarian and development work
- Good information management skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills in both Myanmar and English,
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently
- Flexible work attitude to manage multiple priorities
- Interest, openness and willingness to work in IDP camps
- Respecting and valuing diversity
- Eagerness to learn
- Willingness to be based in Sittwe and frequently travel to field locations in Rakhine State
- Computer skills (familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel)
- Experience of working in sensitive contexts in Myanmar; working experience in Rakhine highly desirable
- Rakhine language would be a strong asset
- Experience in working with local civil society organisations and local leaders
- Experience in Protection/WASH/Health work
- Bachelor degree in Social Science, or similar field
Closing date: 4th May 2018, 5:00 PM
How to apply: Please state applied position in email subject line and send CV and cover letter to Human Resources Department through email@example.com
Oxfam office, No. 34, Corner of Aung Taw Mu Street and Golden Hill Avenue Street, Golden Valley Ward 2, Bahan Township, Yangon, Myanmar.
Phone: +95 (0)1 539986, 539987, 539958, 539189 and 504918
Detail and complete job profile is available upon request.
We regret that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.