VA releasing Date: <10. Jan. 2018>
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) / Danish Demining Group (DDG) are an international humanitarian organization implementing relief and development activities in more than 30 countries. DRC/DDG is a non-governmental, non-political and non-religious organization and, in DRC/DDG, people’s right to a life with dignity takes precedence over politics and principles. DRC/DDG has been operating in Myanmar since 2009, responding to humanitarian needs of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and conflict-affected populations by providing shelter, NFIs, livelihood support, humanitarian mine action and community assistance. The DRC / DDG programme is rooted in a strong protection outreach that includes protection monitoring, tailor-made assistance and programmatic integration through humanitarian mine action (HMA) including provision of Mine Risk Education (MRE) and Non-Technical Survey (NTS) in the most contaminated and conflict-prone areas of Myanmar.
To support and strengthen the DRC / DDG programme in Myanmar we are looking for highly motivated and capable candidates to fill the position of
Mine Action Deputy Programme Manager (1-Post)
Duty Station : Yangon with extensive travel in regions where mine action activities are implemented.
Reporting to : DDG Operations / Programme Manager
Line Manager for : Information Management Officer
Starting from : January 2018
Contract length :12 months
The main responsibility of this position is to contribute to the effective and efficient implementation of DRC/DDG Humanitarian Mine Action (HMA) activities in Myanmar in accordance with DRC/DDG Myanmar Guidelines and Policies.
Duties & Responsibilities
Specific duties will include, but not be limited to:
- Assist DDG Operations / Programme Manager to coordinate, implement and roll-out all mine action activities in Myanmar in coordination with DRC/DDG Programme Managers,
- Support the MRE/Community Liaison (CL) Project Manager to coordinate, task, plan, conduct and monitor all MRE/CL in the country,
- Assist DDG Operations / Programme Manager to set up a consistent and comprehensive information management system and relevant reporting mechanisms as well as the development of a national landmines Victim Information System (VIS),
- Supervise the national Information Management officer,
- Assist DDG Operations / Programme Manager in liaising with other international mine action organizations in the development and conduct of common activities and projects in the frame of the Mine Risk Working Group (MRWG), the Victim Assistance Technical Sub Working Group (VA TwG) and possibly the future Myanmar Mine Action Center,
- Assist DDG Operations / Programme Manager to liaise with State / Region and national civilian and military authorities to develop and enlarge the DDG mine action portfolio with new operations as Non-Technical Survey and, possibly, Land Release activities,
- Support representation of the DRC/DDG Mine Action programme in Myanmar towards Union and States Government authorities, Non-State Armed Groups, partners, United Nations agencies and international and local NGOs and various national and state coordination mechanisms. Act as direct focal point when requested by DDG Programme Manager.
- Support the DRC/DDG Programme Managers in relation to planning and implementation of mine action activities, including in providing support to national authorities to establish necessary national coordination mechanisms as national Mine Action authorities.
- Assist DDG Programme Manager in preparing and developing project proposals and carry out resources mobilizations, in coordination with the DRC/DDG Country Director.
Qualifications and minimum requirements:
- University (BA/BSc) degree in relevant fields (development or economics);
- Extended period (10 years) of relevant experience working in a similar role and environment;
- Demonstrated expertise in the management of mine action activities (mine risk education, victim assistance and Non-Technical Survey);
- Experience in community work, social work, training, especially with vulnerable people;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Demonstrated ability to build professional strong relationships with Government and State authorities, local partners and communities and colleagues;
- Excellent understanding of the operational context in regions where DRC/DDG conduct humanitarian and mine action operations,
- Flexible and prepared to travel intensively in the region;
- Good analytical and computer skills (especially Word and Excel);
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills;
- Fluency in Myanmar with some other local language spoken in some States.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
- Starting date of employment: 1/2/2018
- Contract: Regular DRC staff contract, including a probation period of 3 months;
- Salary: Competitive salary according to DRC Myanmar salary scale.
This position is open for Myanmar Nationals only. DRC strongly advocates for equal opportunity and promotes a diversified and inspiring working environment.
Application process: Applicants who meet the above-mentioned requirements should apply by submitting their applications in English (consisting of Cover Letter and CV of no more than 2 pages, including contact details of 3 professional references) by e-mail
No later than January, 24, 2018 (COB/5pm)
Applications can also be sent to:
DRC Office, U Aung Kain Street No. 99-F-3, Thanlwin Road, Bahan Township; or contact DDG’s Programme Manager in Myanmar, Pascal Simon: email@example.com. For general information about the Danish Demining Group and the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.danishdeminingroup.dk and www.drc.dk. Applications sent directly to Pascal Simon will not be considered.
Should you experience difficulties with delivering the application, DRC Yangon Office can be contacted on telephone no. 01 501598 (Ext: 118).
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and invited for an interview. Please note that due to the urgency of this position, applications will be reviewed on an on-going basis and DRC reserves the right to initiate the recruitment process before the deadline for applications.