The post is to be based in Yangon and opened to International applicants and advertised globally.
Oxfam is a leading International NGO with a worldwide reputation for excellence and over 70 years of experience. It’s not unfortunate that people live in poverty. With enough wealth in this world to go around it’s unjustifiable. It’s not just their problem. It’s ours too. Our humanitarian, development and campaigning projects change lives around the world, and with the right support, we can beat poverty and injustice. Thousands of people already commit their time and talents to our campaigning, humanitarian and long-term development projects. Now we’re looking for yours.
The role: To influence international companies operating or investing in Myanmar and change their policy and practice. The position will assist in creating linkages between OiM’s Responsible Investment work and Oxfam’s global and regional private sector strategies. The advisor will further help to build capacity of the country office and partners in Myanmar on private sector engagement. The post holder will be line managed by the Director of Advocacy and Communications, and matrix managed by the EJ Lead.
Level: C 2, International
Employment term: Fixed – Term (1 year)
Report to: Director of Advocacy and Communications and Matrix Line Managed by Economic Justice Lead
What we offer: Respectful and empowered working environment,
Life insurance, Medical+ dental + optical benefits,
Competitive salary and Career advancement opportunities,
Generous leave entitlement
- Developing and implementing strategic influencing towards key actors; international companies operating or investing in Myanmar, including (local) host authorities and home governments (including through embassies), consistent with Oxfam policies on private sector engagement; this will be in close collaboration with partners and teams across Oxfam in Myanmar;
- Ensuring that experience in developing and testing private sector influencing strategies are shared and fed up to regional and global influencing platforms.
- Coordinating with ongoing influencing/research initiatives internal to Oxfam (including Oxfam in Myanmar’s Right to Food research and policy brief development; community-company engagement and accompanying research; research strands on agricultural investment; evidence emerging from Oxfam’s work on labour rights; research and policy / influencing workstreams on water governance);
- Contributing to Oxfam in Myanmar’s inequality and governance streams of work on private sector issues (including on labour rights and fiscal accountability)
- Developing tools for private sector engagement across Oxfam in Myanmar’s country programme in line with national laws and international best practice standards
- Working with relevant project managers to manage risks associated with company engagement in relation to:
- communities, local civil society organizations, and the authorities
- home affiliates and country offices
- Conducting stakeholder and political analysis, authoring policy briefings and reports for external publication with partners, overseeing research projects related to private sector work in close collaboration with the EJ team and with the support of the Director of Advocacy and Communications
- Supporting programmatic development on private sector
- Supporting and coaching national staff to increasingly lead on private sector engagement and influencing nationally and internationally
- Providing capacity support to national and local civil society working on private sector
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
- Relevant degree in social science, economics, development or related subjects.
- At least 5 years’ experience in advocacy, and particularly private sector engagement (at least one year in an ASEAN country)
- Proven thematic experience in private sector engagement, responsible investment, civil society engagement and governance
- Understanding and work experience relating to the role of business in respecting human rights and alleviating poverty
- Proven understanding of responsible investment and international guidelines
- Experience of analysing policy issues and developing influencing strategies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and inter-personal skills, including influencing and negotiation skills
- Experience of working with and developing capacity of staff and partners
- Willingness and time to travel and work in the field
- Excellent representational and communication skills; sensitivity to cultural differences and ability to work in wise variety of cultural contexts
Closing date: 12 December 2017, 5:00 PM
How to apply: Please state applied position in email subject line and send CV and cover letter to Human Resources Department through email@example.com
Oxfam office, No. 34, Corner of Aung Taw Mu Street and Golden Hill Avenue Street, Golden Valley Ward 2, Bahan Township, Yangon, Myanmar.
Phone: +95 (0)1 539986, 539987, 539958, 539189 and 504918
Detail and complete job profile is available upon request.
We regret that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.