PROGRAM COORDINATOR (YOUTH AND INTERFAITH DIALOGUE)
(Vacancy Announcement No. MC-VA-280619)
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Tuesday, 09 July 2019 (Before 5:00pm)
*Only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
Duty Station : Yangon
Number of Opening(s) : 1
Mercy Corps is a global humanitarian organization empowering people to recover from crisis, build better lives and transform their communities for good. Operating in Myanmar since 2008, Mercy Corps works to build responsive governance, inclusive economic development, and equal rights that support peace and prosperity. Mercy Corps currently works in ten states in Myanmar, connecting market development, financial inclusion, disaster risk management and climate change resilience, and governance through a facilitative partnership approach.
Mercy Corps began working in Myanmar 2008 to help communities recover from the devastating dmage of Cyclone Nargis. After the emergency phase of our works was complete, we shifted our focus to longer-term development –first in Delta, then in other regions. Our overreaching goal is to enable communities to determine t heir future through responsive governance, inclusive and equitable access to economic opportunity, climate change resilience, and equal rights leading to peace and prosperity. We approach our work through a resilience lens, to ensure households and communities are able to manage a myriad of shocks and stresses that threaten these outcomes.
In June 2019, Mercy Corps launched the thirty-four months long – Sone Hmat Program (2) in Rakhine and Mandalay region. The program aims to mitigate the tension that may lead intercommunal violence. Sone Hmat program 2 aims to prevent intercommunal violence in Myanmar-both structural and political drivers of intercommunal conflict. The program goal is the intercommunal tensions are reduced by influential leaders and civil society organizations who raise awareness on minority rights, provide spaces for dialogue and exchange, mediate disputes and promote appreciation of diversity among key decision-makers and their communities.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Program Coordinator (Youth and Interfaith Dialogue) is responsible for coordinating and implementing the delivery of the three years program relating with youth empowerment program activities collaboration with partner, youth union, local government, religious leaders and civil society stakeholders in Rakhine and Mandalay regions. Key activities include organizing and facilitating meetings, trainings, workshops and relationship with local stakeholders, civil society organizations and supporting on reporting relating to program implementation and subgrant management. The Coordinator also need to build broad networking with the local organizations and also give the proper suggestion to the program team on issues related to social cohesion according to local situation and advise the Sone Hmat program which will be ended in March 2022.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and partners and consistent with Mercy Corps’s relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan.
· Ensure that the program participants are effectively selected according to established criteria
· Suggest program implementation strategies, including partnership frameworks, program participants targeting and capacity development and for youth leaders and organizations.
· Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate.
· Ensure program implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems to reach desired impacts.
· Support the program team in collecting information, coordinate all monitoring and evaluation and learning activities in the field, including assessment, learning reviews and follow up activities relating to youth and dialogue activities.
· Document the youth program activities, achievements, challenges and support in reporting process.
· Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance& reach objectives.
· Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
· Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
INFLUENCE & REPRESENTATION.
· Represent MC in appropriate meetings or forums in peace Nexus.
· As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5 % of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO PROGRAM PARTICIPANTS
· Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, especially to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
· Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all-country venues.
· Establish and maintain good working relationships and effective communication with program stakeholders including religious leaders, relevant government bodies, youth leaders or union, CSOs and communities.
· Mobilizing, organizing and conducting and facilitating the training, meeting or youth camps relating with negotiation, communication, diversity and tolerance promotion with support from the other program team members
· Support the program team members in monitoring the project activities and collecting data and reporting in terms of interfaith dialogue and youth
· Coordinate with youth organizations, religious leaders and provide support for youth capacity development and grant management activities.
· Build and maintain network with youth organizations and strengthen their leadership skills
· Have knowledge about the history of youth movement, activities of youth organizations and mainstream of youth leadership in Myanmar.
· Support and assist the consultant for the interfaith dialogue component in order to implement the activities smoothly.
· Implement the program activities for youth and dialogue activities according to project’s goals and objectives established
· Identify and connect the program team members and the key stakeholders to relevant local technical expertise to inform key program activities
· Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to promote social cohesion among youth and communities.
· Other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Project Manager
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Senior M&E Officer, Program Coordinator (FORB), Operations and Finance staff (procurement, logistics, finance, administration), Youth unions. Dialogue consultant, Program coordinator (Mandalay), Program Coordinator (Rakhine)
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
· Bachelor or Master degree or relevant field required.
· 2-3 years of international relief and development program management experience, preferably in empowering youth and social cohesion program
· Experience in working with peace and youths network, diversity, dialogue, community mobilization and empowerment and civil society strengthening is required.
· Experience working with local authorities, national and international NGOs and religious leaders
· Strong communication, coordination, and networking skill; experience developing and managing with relationships with diverse stakeholders.
· Demonstrated excellent skill in grant managing and communicate effectively.
· Demonstrated flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving
· Ability to conceptualize, plan, and implement program activities creatively, as well as the ability to analyze data and utilize lessons learned for the continuous improvement of program implementation.
· Strong interpersonal skills along with multitasking organizational and prioritization skills.
· Able to respect diversities, pluralism and have no discrimination based on ethnicities, religions
· Demonstrated attention to detail, computer skills, organizational skills, and ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines, and work both independently and cooperatively with team members is required.
· Candidate must be willing to travel and work in difficult conditions.
· Fluency in written and spoken English is required along with multitasking, organizational and prioritization skills.
· Successful and proven negotiation, communication and organization skills
The successful candidate will be a quick learner, enjoy training and coaching, be well-networked with civil society, government leaders, have strong critical thinking and analytical skills, demonstrate initiative and creativity, have a collaborative leadership style and have strong personal values of tolerance, equality and inclusivity.
Add a Comment