(Vacancy Announcement No. MC-VA-010120)
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Tuesday, 21 January 2020 (Before 5:00pm)
*Only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
Duty Station : Magway
Number of Opening(s) : 1
Mercy Corps currently works in ten states/regions in Myanmar, connecting market development, financial inclusion, disaster risk management and climate change resilience, and governance through a facilitative partnership approach. Through funding from various donors, Mercy Corps Myanmar (MCM) inclusive and green economic development takes a progressive approach to improving economic well-being by building systems that foster sustainability and scale.
In the Central Dry Zone (CDZ), Mercy Corps partners a private sector actor and will work to initiate a farmer entity to strengthen smallholders’ engagement in commercial production of oilseeds and pulses seeds. The project will focus on establishing a strong foundational base of the farmer entity to operationalize by developing and testing a governance system and sets of standard operating procedures to a number of farmers. The project will include a potential for an expansion of farmers’ engagement in other potential production areas across the CDZ. Through the proposed interventions, we envisage a well-functioning farmer entity to create new economic opportunity for its members with the overall vision of creating a strong commercial seed company that transforms the underdeveloped market.
Mercy Corps is committed to accountability to our stakeholders — from the people and communities we serve to the donors, partners, governments, and team members who support our work. We have a responsibility to all of our stakeholders to use our resources to the best advantage and work in a respectful manner with our beneficiaries. We have a zero tolerance for violations to our Code of Ethics (e.g. Sexual Abuse of Beneficiaries and Community Members (PSEA), Anti-Trafficking Policy, Child Safeguarding Policy, Mercy Corps Ethics Complaint and Whistleblower Policy, Sexual Misconduct in the Workplace Policy and Harassment, Bullying, and Anti-Discrimination Policy and Fraud and Corruption).
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Under the supervision of the Markets Program Manager, the Project Manager is responsible for leading the provision of supports to the partnered private sector actor for establishing the farmer entity as a fully functional company limited by guarantee that will supply quality seeds for the company. The position holders will be responsible for overall day to day project implementation including supervision of field-based Project Officers. The project team will work for establishing the farmer entity, mobilizing farmers to be part of the farmer entity, and providing technical support for its operationalization. The team will need to ensure equal and productive participation of women.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide guidelines for the establishment of the farmer entity in the form of a CLG (Company Limited by Guarantee), that will be the suppliers of seed to the partnered seed company;
- Establish organizational and governance structures and processes to ensure that the farmer entity functions as a sustainable entity, abides by its constitution and fulfils its role as joint venture partner in the seed company.
- Establish strategy for mobilizing farmers through both existing networks in Myanmar’s Central Dry Zone (“CDZ”) to be part of the farmer entity;
- Develop intermediary mechanisms through which farmers can participate in the ownership and governance of seed company;
- Develop recommendations and supporting initiatives to ensure equal and meaningful participation of women,
- Establish monitoring and reporting frameworks and preparation of reports in accordance with donor guidelines.
- Supervise and assist the Project Officers to ensure that project implementation is consistent with the project design and Mercy Corps’ relevant guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan;
- With the assistance from the Mercy Corps team, work with Project Officers to develop governance system and standard operating procedures (SOPS) and an approach for signing up growers;
- Provide guidance and supervision to Project Officers to facilitate signing up of target farmers and to test the established governance system and SOPS;
- Lead the capacity building activities to farmer entity management team, facilitate first general member meeting, and if necessary, provide interim management of the farmer entity and representation of the farmer entity in the seed company;
- Assist Project Officers to deliver necessary trainings to the farmers as per project design;
- Laisse with the partnered private sector actor and the seed company, and organize support to deliver training the importance of quality control systems in seed production;
- With the assistance of the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager, lead the implementation of the monitoring and reporting frameworks, including relevant indicator data and stories;
- Ensure program implementation is on time, target and budget;
- Fulfill Mercy Corps’ Program Management Minimum Standards based on the organization-wide guide;
- Assist the Project Officers to ensure all interventions adhere to Mercy Corps’ Gender Policy, Do No Harm principles, and beneficiary accountability standards;
- Deliver other work-related duties as assigned by the Markets Program Manager and other Mercy Corps country leaderships.
- Create a dynamic project environment that promotes inquiry and learning and actively engage in learning and seek training with dedication to personal professional development;
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed;
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one-on-ones and performance reviews;
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
FINANCE & COMPLIANCE MANAGEMENT
Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations.
INFLUENCE & REPRESENTATION
Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Supervisory Responsibility: The Project Officers
Reports Directly to: The Markets Program Manager
Works Directly with: MCM senior program team and Mercy Corps Myanmar’s M&E Coordinator
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience in working with similar project with demonstrable understanding on the CLG model;
- Strong knowledge on farming systems and smallholder farmers in the CDZ;
- Proven skills in networking, teambuilding, community consultations, farmer mobilizations and organizational development;
- Private sector experience in agriculture is preferred;
- Understand about the gendered social norms and expectations and ability to showcase ideas to promote Gender equity in the project activities;
- Strong networks with local organizations working in agriculture sector in CDZ;
- Established relationships with local authorities in CDZ is highly desired;
- Having an agronomic background on pulses and oilseeds is a plus point;
- Fluency in English is required (reading, writing, speaking);
- Demonstrable quantitative skills, including familiarity with financial management;
- Excellent reporting, communication and representation skills;
- Willing and able to travel to target villages in CDZ.
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently to project areas, sometimes in remote locations:
- Strong curiosity for understanding and working effectively within the complex cultural, political, security, and social environment of Myanmar;
- Excellent communicator, multi‐tasker, and able to work in ambiguous situations. S/he will be a tolerant and flexible individual able to work in difficult and stressful environments and follow procedures. S/he will be a team‐player with a positive attitude toward problem solving and conflict resolution;
- Energetic, self-confident, having strong sense of humor.