The post is to be based in Sittwe/Rakhine State with frequent travels to the field and to Yangon and opened to International applicants and Advertised globally.
Oxfam is a leading International NGO with a worldwide reputation for excellence and over 70 years of experience. It’s not unfortunate that people live in poverty. With enough wealth in this world to go around it’s unjustifiable. It’s not just their problem. It’s ours too. Our humanitarian, development and campaigning projects change lives around the world, and with the right support, we can beat poverty and injustice. Thousands of people already commit their time and talents to our campaigning, humanitarian and long-term development projects. Now we’re looking for yours.
The project supports individuals from CSOs, partner organisations, women’s rights organisations and individuals from Sittwe IDP camps to engage in a Gender Leadership Programme that aims at 1) women’s transformational leadership and empowerment and 2) enhancing entrepreneurship skills development to increase livelihood opportunities for women in Rakhine. As a result, women should be supported to play a more active role in the development of Rakhine State. Interventions are aimed towards participants applying leadership skills at household and community level, and towards increasing women’s capacities to gain livelihood opportunities through skill development tailored to context and expressed needs. This project is under Oxfam in Myanmar’s Governance programme and will have humanitarian approaches embedded within, thereby working on the humanitarian-development nexus.
The Women’s Empowerment Programme Manager has overall responsibility for management of the project articulate above and relevant partner/donor relations. The successful candidate will work in Oxfam’s Sittwe office and lead a small team to provide strategic direction, and ensure effective implementation of project activities. The Women’s empowerment Programme Manager will represent the project, build relationships with project stakeholders, and ensure regular coordination with, and reporting to, the donor. Key to this role will be developing strategies to embed regular learning to improve the quality of development-humanitarian interventions by Oxfam in Myanmar.
Level: C2, International
Employment term: Fixed-term (1 year)
Report to: Director of Governance & Programme Quality
Staff reporting to this post Gender and Leadership Project Officer and Community Engagement Project Officer
What we offer: Respectful and empowered working environment,
Life insurance, Medical+ dental + optical benefits,
Competitive salary and Career advancement opportunities,
Generous leave entitlement
- Lead effective and efficient implementation of the Women’s Empowerment project in Rakhine State (in four townships and Sittwe IDP camps)
- Provide leadership in programme implementation and budget monitoring in line with agreed upon activities and in compliance with Oxfam’s financial system
- Ensure implementation is in line with the grant contract
- Provide on sight managerial and technical accompaniment support, mentoring, and coaching to ensure high quality program delivery.
- Facilitate connections within Oxfam Myanmar and Oxfam globally to ensure project team and partner organisations get appropriate support to implement the project to a high quality
- Coordinate inputs and develop high quality reports both for internal Oxfam requirements and to meet donor requirements
- Ensure regular coordination with the donor in terms of information sharing, attending coordination meetings and project representation, and submission of programme and progress reports
- Provide guidance and support to ensure human interest stories and other communications outputs are collected and shared with the donor and other stakeholders
Representation, networking, communications and coordination:
- Provide regular programme updates and other information as required
- Represent Oxfam at donor events, Sittwe/Rakhine-level development coordination meetings and other relevant meetings/working groups (to be identified)
- Represent Oxfam to government officials and other stakeholders
- Participate in and represent Oxfam at all donor and relevant partner coordination meetings
- Liaise and coordinate with other projects and programmes on the Oxfam country office level, and in particular at the Sittwe field office-level (Humanitarian programme)
Programme Quality and Learning:
- Ensure that gender equality and leadership is a central part of Oxfam’s programming in Rakhine
- With support of Oxfam’s Programme quality team, lead on delivering the project’s MEAL framework, including coordination of key M&E events
- Create a culture of learning within the project, and that learning is fed into broader Oxfam’s humanitarian-development programme learning processes
- Ensure that the programe adheres to and promotes internal and international humanitarian standards, procedures and guidelines
- Ensure all activities are implemented in a way that is accountable to the people we work with
- Performance Management: Support and provide leadership in improving the performance of staff through training, capacity building, mentoring and coaching; implement the Oxfam performance management system with direct reports, ensuring clear work objectives and completed end of deployment reviews
- Be an active member of Oxfam’s team, participate in appropriate staff meetings in Sittwe and Yangon
- Work and coordinate closely with the Oxfam Sittwe-level team leads to ensure mutual learning and support
- Ensure that HR, logistics, security issues are addressed timely and effectively
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
- A bachelor’s degree in social science, international development, political science or related field
- At least 5 years’ experience of working on gender-focused governance and development projects, at least 1 year experience of working in a field location
- Proven programme and management skills including strategic planning, monitoring, budgeting, proposal development and report preparation.
- Excellent understanding of community development processes and knowledge of participatory approaches
- Experience of working in partnership with local organisations such as CSOs and women’s rights organisations
- Demonstrated facilitation, coaching and mentoring skills
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts
- Working knowledge of Do no Harm approaches and at least basic knowledge of conflict sensitive approaches
- Fluency in spoken and written English,
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Flexible work attitude to manage multiple priorities
- Computer skills (Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Commitment to an understanding of Oxfam's aims, values and principles.
- Understanding of gender, diversity issues and strong commitment to promote gender and diversity equality.
- Ability to work independently with minimal support
- Experience of working in politically sensitive and conflict affected locations
- Working experience in Myanmar (Within Rakhine highly desirable)
- Basic Myanmar language skills an asset
Closing date: 7th May 2018, 5:00 PM
How to apply: Please state applied position in email subject line and send CV and cover letter to Human Resources Department through firstname.lastname@example.org
Oxfam office, No. 34, Corner of Aung Taw Mu Street and Golden Hill Avenue Street, Golden Valley Ward 2, Bahan Township, Yangon, Myanmar.
Phone: +95 (0)1 539986, 539987, 539958, 539189 and 504918
Detail and complete job profile is available upon request.
We regret that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.